Prenuptial & Marriage Agreements
Prenuptial agreements or Marriage agreements establish the property and financial rights of each party in the event of a separation or divorce. These Agreements can also help organize how things are to be handled during a relationship or marriage.
Our Vancouver lawyers work with you to prepare a comprehensive prenuptial agreement, requiring and taking into account both parties’ financial assets and properties. It protects family heirlooms, a family business, and children of a previous relationship who you want to ensure receive specific property and/or financial assets, as well as guardianship and parenting issues as well as finances during the relationship.
Obtaining a prenuptial agreement provides you and your partner many benefits, including:
- Peace of mind should the relationship break down, or if a spouse dies.
- A respectful platform to develop an understanding of each other’s wishes and desires.
- A clear valuation of the property you each bring into the relationship.
- Prevents potentially long, drawn-out, costly court battles.
- You decide on issues, as opposed to letting a judge impose decisions on you.